Server: Website

Amount: $10.00 - Total: $120.00

Date: Sep 8, 2019 - 02:54 am

Blue

Server: Course

Amount: $5.00 - Total: $20.00

Date: Sep 7, 2019 - 07:19 pm

How to get a user's SteamID after they leave the server

So, you've seen some misbehavior and want to report or punish the culprit, but they're gone? Fear not, for you can still get their SteamID. There are 3 main ways that I use to get SteamIDs, and I'll walk you through each.

What is a SteamID?

A SteamID is, quite simply, the serial number of a Steam account. Each Steam account has an associated SteamID and it cannot be changed. Here at Swoobles, we require a SteamID in reports so that we can mete out punishment if it's appropriate.

Cool dice! How do I find them?
First and most simply, you can type 'status' in console on any server to print a list of connected players and other information, including SteamIDs. Status displays among other things a UserID, which is an identifier reset each time the server restarts, a name, and a SteamID, which looks like STEAM_0:1:6372276. If there's a rulebreaker on who I can't punish, I get their SteamID before they leave so that punishment can be administered.

Damn! the naughty Nelly you were trying to catch has left the server. Whatever will you do?
Luckily, all is not lost. There are two methods that you can use to track the perp down.

Method One
The first method is possible thanks to Swoobles' web databases. First, connect to the forums and click on your user name in the top right corner to view your profile.

From there, click on your SteamID to view your database profile.

Here, you can view a number of useful things, such as a list of timed punishments you've received, your global ranks, and most germane to this tutorial, a full list of maps you've played.

Click on any of the map names to be brought to the session overview screen, which displays the map name and time it was played as well as a full list of all people who played during that session.

Click on any name to view the owner's database profile, where you can find their SteamID.

Voila! This method is normally the easiest and quickest way to find a SteamID in my experience, but it's not without its caveats. The session overview shows the name stored in Swoobles' database for a player, which is the name they've played with most but not always what they played as that session. For example, a session with Tickle would show him as Alphix, even though he's been Tickle more often than not recently. In a situation such as the one I've described, you'd need to use the following method.

Method Two

To start, go to your Steam profile. Click on 'Friends' on the right-hand side.

From here, you're going to want to click on the tab for folks you've recently played with.

There'll be a screen for every game you've played recently. Here, I'm focusing on my last Jailbreak session.

Find who you seek and copy their profile's URL. It's OK if it's private! Visit steamidfinder.com in your web browser and paste their profile URL. Their SteamID should be displayed.

[img][Image: GEsugKR.png]
What are the downsides of this method? For one, it takes longer than the other ways. Another shortcoming is that it is subject to weirdness, both in when lists of recent players appear and which ones appear (try waiting for the map to change!).

Conclusion
I hope I've managed to elucidate the somewhat opaque concept of SteamIDs and how to search them out. Boop has written an excellent thread detailing how to punish with SteamID, which I can't recommend highly enough. If you have any questions, feel free to message me or any other admin on the forums or on Steam.
I usually use the map session method as well. A lot of times if you can't find their name on the list you can make a good guess based on the disconnect time. Great tutorial!
https://swoobles.com/forums/thread-4036.html
(02-07-2016, 01:35 PM)Boop Wrote: https://swoobles.com/forums/thread-4036.html

Doesn't include the other, Swoobles-specific method. Doesn't have well-written expository text. 5/7 tutorial
Nice trhead! Really clear, helpful and easy to follow.
Thank
You
Great tutorial Caspase! It's great how much detail you put into this, there's no doubt everyone knows how to find the information they need now.
(02-07-2016, 02:29 PM)Caspase Wrote: 5/7

niceme.me
Chris reported.
Very nice tutorial, tbh i used to always go to my recently played with section to look for the rule breaker xD. Thanks for this.
I dnt brake rulz offen tho plz no ban

Great job.
tel me how t fin paswrod pls cy(ka blota,