Welcome back west coast? Moving information!

It's probably been a while since anyone has heard much from me. I've sort of been trying to lay low while I slave away on the timer code, which by the way is probably not even 20% finished! The feature list goes on for years :(. Anyway, this post isn't supposed to be about my pain and suffering but rather more about how Swoobles is getting an awesome new server in a much much much better location!

As many of you know for the last few years it seems like Swoobles has been moving locations a lot. This has mainly been due to us trying to find a host that can actually take a good beating from a DDoS attack. We started out colocating in Chicago, then renting from two different hosts in Dallas, and finally renting in Quebec as a last resort. The current Quebec location is a great host and they can certainly stand up to DDoS attacks compared to the previous hosts, but there is a major problem being in Quebec.. our west coast players have horrible latency. I knew this was a problem before moving to Quebec but we had no choice.

After the move to Quebec I was continuously searching for a new host in a more central US location every few weeks. Just the other week I finally found a host that has everything I've been looking for: Quality DDoS protection, good ping for everyone in the US and Canada, and colocation instead of renting a dedicated server! I instantly decided we're moving there after confirming they provide what they claim.

So what does this all mean in layman terms?
1) Our current west coast players can rejoice and have their 50-70 ping again.
2) Our east coast players ping will most likely be 40-60 now instead of 0-20 (cut west coast some slack!)
3) Our central players ping will most likely be the 0-20 now.
4) Swoobles population will hopefully rise now that all of the US and Canada get good ping.
5) The server machine will be MUCH more powerful (and also much more expensive.)

Because we can finally colocate again we can build the machine with whatever hardware we want as long as it fits into a 1-2U chassis. I decided we are getting a 4790k because as of now it seems to be the highest clocked CPU on the market that will stay cool enough within a 1-2U chassis. The Source engine servers don't use multiple cores which is why the more cycles they can push per core the better the game servers will perform. I'm going with a 2U chassis in the hopes to provide enough cooling to overclock the 4790k to 4.2-4.3 GHz. Even if it's not cool enough to overclock the CPU will still be 600MHz faster and on newer architecture which should hopefully reduce the massive performance hit the servers get when there are 40+ players online (jailbreak definitely knows what I'm talking about.)

When are we getting this awesome new server you ask? Well, I already started ordering the parts, so whenever they arrive and I assemble everything and ship it out to Texas. I would say they should hopefully be online within a few weeks if nothing goes wrong. Also, not every game server Swoobles has will be on this new machine. I will be moving 4 of the most popular servers there first while the others will stay in Quebec until I can afford to buy more hardware for a second machine.

The price I am paying per month for this server is nearly double what it was in Quebec, which is manageable now that donations are out. However, all of the hardware to build this new machine is around $1,000 and I'm hoping I can entice some of you guys to help out. If nobody decides to help that's perfectly fine too as Swoobles is my baby and I'll give it the best I can regardless.

Now for my enticing offer. For a limited time I'll fix any bug in any plugin or add any feature to any server for a donation (these are within reason!) If you want a bug fixed or a feature added just make a post in the proper server forum with the donation amount you think this bug/feature is worth to you. Other players will have to agree the bug/feature should be fixed/added and if they agree and you donate I will set that bug/feature request as top priority above anything else on Swoobles. The amount you donate will have to be from the donate for points page as you will use that page to donate, and yes you will get the points too! Also, if it's something that would take countless hours to make for an unreasonable donation I would have to politely decline.

If you have any questions about the server and/or donations please post in this news thread.

https://i.imgur.com/Pu9lsp4.png
careful with that 4790k, it runs hotter than all hell even at stock

also more to the point is a /slaylead level 1 command within reason for a donation? Tongue
(07-31-2015, 04:20 AM)marksteele Wrote: careful with that 4790k, it runs hotter than all hell even at stock

also more to the point is a /slaylead level 1 command within reason for a donation? :P

I don't think that's something that would be added :> And yeah those 4790k's do get pretty hot.
(07-31-2015, 04:24 AM)hlstriker Wrote:
(07-31-2015, 04:20 AM)marksteele Wrote: careful with that 4790k, it runs hotter than all hell even at stock

also more to the point is a /slaylead level 1 command within reason for a donation? Tongue

I don't think that's something that would be added :> And yeah those 4790k's do get pretty hot.

ah well, I'll try to scrape up some donation money to help out anyway ^.^
I got $100 for you, if I get EVERY STORE ITEM EVER.
[Image: D0tBlu4.jpg]
(07-31-2015, 04:26 AM)Yota_Ninja Wrote: I got $100 for you, if I get EVERY STORE ITEM EVER.

Psh! I've been trying to get every item so far!
(07-31-2015, 04:26 AM)Yota_Ninja Wrote: I got $100 for you, if I get EVERY STORE ITEM EVER.

pfft your "the investor" surely you can donate more than $100 Tongue
(07-31-2015, 04:40 AM)marksteele Wrote: pfft your "the investor" surely you can donate more than $100 Tongue

Not keeping tabs here, but I definitely have in the past lol.
[Image: D0tBlu4.jpg]
Yesssssssssssssssss. I can stop withholding information!

I'll donate $1000 if I can ban fishy players and meanieheads as I see fit! You don't even have to do any work!
[Image: 6mmNZSq.gif]
East Coast >