Server: Course

Amount: $5.00 - Total: $5.00

Date: Sep 9, 2019 - 01:30 am

Riga

Server: Course

Amount: $5.00 - Total: $5.00

Date: Sep 9, 2019 - 01:27 am

Course Mapping Ideas

So, I've been researching how to make maps and practicing and I think I want to make a course map! 

The theme I think I would like to use is a "hood" theme so like going through houses and whatnot

I only want to have obstacles that people like though if you guys could post some things you like as well as things you don't like in a map that would be great.

Also, I would like to hear more than one suggestion.

Thanks!

(P.S. I know there has been similar threads but people's opinions may have changed and I would like to hear things for my theme.)
[Image: GleefulMarvelousAllensbigearedbat-max-1mb.gif][Image: 09cGqqO.png]
Bhopping through Western Detroit dumpsters and broken 1992 Acura NSX's.
Sounds like a good theme, I've personally never seen that sort of a theme in a course map before. It's good to know what you're doing before you do it, for map creating it's not totally hard to catch onto but since you did your research it will be even easier. Only a few fine tune parts to map creation that take time to nail down imo.

A couple good props/decorations ideas I came up with for you:
Props:
-Broken Cars
-Guns that you can't pickup
-Stacks of Money
Decorations:
-Windows (shattered or not)
-Houses (obviously)
pls no ladder related skill jumps

this sounds like a neat map idea, hmu if you need help with some of Hammer's more intricate tools and also watch TopHATTwaffle and 3kliksphilip
Look man, Im not telling you that this isn't a good idea, but you should start with something much easier, like a 1v1 map. If you've only just starting swimming in these waters, I really don't think you have reached the course part yet. I speak from experience. I tried creating a JB map and a course map and gave up on both. But if you're confident in your ability to map, then have at it.

As for my ideas:
Props:
  • Streetlights (idrk what you call them right now, im kinda rarted)
  • Stop signs (w/ poll)
  • Trees
  • Fences
Layout/Map:
  • A railway
  • A subway
  • Houses
  • Underground tunnels
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-05-2019, 02:29 AM)Grilled Mayonaise Wrote: I only want to have obstacles that people like though if you guys could post some things you like as well as things you don't like in a map that would be great.

I believe that this was more of the original intention of this thread, rather than the theme.

As for me, this first one isn't necessarily an obstacle idea, but maybe split the map at a part or parts into two directions. One is slower and easier, the other is faster and more difficult (Kind of like the beginning of koztec). As for specific traps, maybe a laser room that might seem difficult at first but is easy and quick once you know it (maybe be able to bhop between them). I also like blocks that are invisible but appear as you get near them, it's fun when you know where they are and you just bhop them without looking. Maybe a kz section, difficulty up to you. If you don't like any of these ideas though and decide not to add them, I won't be offended, it's your map, your choice.
[Image: 8kdVDYR.png]
With your theme in mind, I think mazes should be left out entirely. Not really a logical spot for them inside of broken houses and stuff.
You should try connecting some of the stages/houses with holes or something similar. A lot of “hoods” have small apartment buildings and connected housing.
Other than that, strafe jumps, bhop stages, droppers, and kz/climb portions are all good obstacles. Not a lot of people use longjumps in their maps, so maybe incorporate those somewhere?
Experiment and see what you like, there’s an option to test your map while you’re making so get used to using that. Get some inspiration from maps you like as well, just don’t copy their stages.
(05-07-2019, 02:26 AM)Pleebis Wrote: Look man, Im not telling you that this isn't a good idea, but you should start with something much easier, like a 1v1 map. If you've only just starting swimming in these waters, I really don't think you have reached the course part yet. I speak from experience. I tried creating a JB map and a course map and gave up on both. But if you're confident in your ability to map, then have at it.

As for my ideas:
Props:
  • Streetlights (idrk what you call them right now, im kinda rarted)
  • Stop signs (w/ poll)
  • Trees
  • Fences
Layout/Map:
  • A railway
  • A subway
  • Houses
  • Underground tunnels

Yes, I know it's going to be a difficult thing but its going to be something that I work on over a large span of time and also thank you for the suggestions.
(05-07-2019, 03:22 AM)Spiderpman Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 02:29 AM)Grilled Mayonaise Wrote: I only want to have obstacles that people like though if you guys could post some things you like as well as things you don't like in a map that would be great.

I believe that this was more of the original intention of this thread, rather than the theme.

As for me, this first one isn't necessarily an obstacle idea, but maybe split the map at a part or parts into two directions. One is slower and easier, the other is faster and more difficult (Kind of like the beginning of koztec). As for specific traps, maybe a laser room that might seem difficult at first but is easy and quick once you know it (maybe be able to bhop between them). I also like blocks that are invisible but appear as you get near them, it's fun when you know where they are and you just bhop them without looking. Maybe a kz section, difficulty up to you. If you don't like any of these ideas though and decide not to add them, I won't be offended, it's your map, your choice.

Thank you, and that was the original point of the thread but the things people are saying do help and I probably will put a kz part but I'll have to play some more kz to get a better idea of how to make one.
sounds good, only thing i hate on course maps are long mazes that are hard to remember, like the maze on zei zeii, i can never remember the whole maze and it slows your time down and you just get tired of trying to beat the map.
[Image: Friends-arena_500x250_2-f4d0935e78.png]