Server: Course

Amount: $5.00 - Total: $120.00

Date: Sep 21, 2019 - 11:46 am

eVoMITcH

Server: Bunny Hop

Amount: $5.00 - Total: $50.00

Date: Sep 20, 2019 - 10:39 am

Course Map Suggestions?

Hello, I have future plans for starting to create my own course map in the near future, as I've been playing course on CS:GO for nearly two years now (on multiple servers) and I figure this would be an exciting project to start of my own.

Before I begin, I would just like to get some input on features that some community members find to enjoy on course servers. These include things such as b-hop sections, strafe jumps, surfing, ladder jumps, rng sections, etc. I'll also be sure to figure out some unique features pertaining to my map to make it fresh. Any recommendations for features you like to see on course maps would be extremely helpful.

I also would like to know if you guys prefer more natural, realistic maps, or more "cleaner" maps when it comes to textures. Two map examples I could give for each of these styles would be a map style such as mg_oaks_course_cmg versus a mg_runordie_final style, (I only used these two examples to get an idea of the type of textures I should use, I have no intentions to steal another map idea).

Any feedback or input on features that coursers would like to see on a new map would be greatly appreciated to help give me a start on my new map.

-Kieran
Personally I like maps that have a nice flow like acrophobia or gruber where there are not a lot of traps that slow you down, like mazes. Also i wouldn't add any rng map sections, they don't require any skill and usually just slow down and delay that map.
Don't waste your time adding rng sections, they will be "fixed" by zone managers so it's not rng
(08-12-2017, 02:51 AM)NickJBL Wrote: Personally I like maps that have a nice flow like acrophobia or gruber where there are not a lot of traps that slow you down, like mazes. Also i wouldn't add any rng map sections, they don't require any skill and usually just slow down and delay that map.

Alright cool, also I didn't think I would receive many vibes about rng sections, typically most players hate that, just wanted to make sure. I definitely will focus on a good flow of the map and make sure all the sections flow well together

Thanks for the feedback,
-Kieran
(08-12-2017, 02:54 AM)Cookie Wrote: Don't waste your time adding rng sections, they will be "fixed" by zone managers so it's not rng

Alright cool, I forgot swoobles fixed the rng sections, I haven't played too much course specifically on swoobles so I forgot you guys had that. I'll be sure to stay away from the rng sections, as I already got two negative responses about them.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Kieran
Nice linear maps that you can just run through and grind for a better time are the best maps. Put the harder traps towards the end and don't make people wait for things like moving platforms. Bonus points for making it easier for the zone managers.

Up to you which aesthetic you wanna go for (clean/minimalistic or textured/detailed.) Some people get tired of the dev textures but some like the color/cleanliness of them.
(08-12-2017, 03:04 AM)Pavlo Wrote: Nice linear maps that you can just run through and grind for a better time are the best maps. Put the harder traps towards the end and don't make people wait for things like moving platforms. Bonus points for making it easier for the zone managers.

Up to you which aesthetic you wanna go for (clean/minimalistic or textured/detailed.) Some people get tired of the dev textures but some like the color/cleanliness of them.

Yes I prefer the "cleaner" maps but I'd prefer a map more people would enjoy. Definitely a flow of difficulty is a good idea so people don't feel the need to rtv right away. Also, unless I get overwhelming support for textured, I'll more likely go for a cleaner style. I'm not sure if I'd use dev textures or other textures, but if I do go for a cleaner style, I will focus a lot on making the map itself more interesting so it stands out in a way. Also cleaner textures seem easier to work with than other textures, considering this is the first map I'll be making

Thanks for the feedback,
-Kieran
For the textures part i would enjoy more of it like runordie rather than oaks, just seems more clean and nice to me
[Image: PwzGksc.png]
1. Dont waste your time even starting if you dont have a good work ethic, "mapping isnt hard, it just is really time consuming" - Tomatoes. 2. Dont make my mistake. Watch like 5 hours worth of videos before u even begin, theres many things you're going to want to know before even startimg a map otherwise you will either have to scrap your map or redo half of it. 3. Put whatever you want in your map for course. People will figure out how to do, making it extremely difficult or extremely hard is completely up to you. Just dont make one part too long when theres more parts of the map. 4. Dont make mazes.

P.S if u reply to this with that -Kieran thing ill kill myself
(08-12-2017, 09:22 AM)Tapn Wrote: 1. Dont waste your time even starting if you dont have a good work ethic, "mapping isnt hard, it just is really time consuming" - Tomatoes. 2. Dont make my mistake. Watch like 5 hours worth of videos before u even begin, theres many things you're going to want to know before even startimg a map otherwise you will either have to scrap your map or redo half of it. 3. Put whatever you want in your map for course. People will figure out how to do, making it extremely difficult or extremely hard is completely up to you. Just dont make one part too long when theres more parts of the map. 4. Dont make mazes.

P.S if u reply to this with that -Kieran thing ill kill myself

I plan on checking out all of the links Yota provided in the pinned thread along with extra videos to give me the knowledge I need, and I understand it needs patient.

I plan on making it a harder map, because I enjoy being presented a challenge. Also, I will only add mazes if it can fit in the map style.

-Kieran